This will be the chili that I make from now on.
You can find the recipe here at www.food.com and if you are looking to do it in a crock pot this is their recommendation:
If cooking the chili in a crock pot, drain the tomatoes; cover and cook on low for about 5 hours. Chili can be made ahead and refrigerated overnight. Freezes well too so would be good OAMC recipe.
2 lbs ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 -3 onions, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 (19 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
2 (10 ounce) cans mushroom pieces, drained, chopped
2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup, undiluted
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
2 tablespoons chili powder, divided
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 -2 garlic cloves, minced or 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- Brown the ground beef in the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until no longer pink; place in a large pot. Do not drain.
- Sauté onion, celery and green pepper in the drippings, in the same frying pan used for the ground beef, for about 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add a little of the chili powder.
- Add sautéed veggies to the ground beef.
- Add rinsed and drained kidney beans, mushrooms pieces, undiluted tomato soup and tomatoes with the liquid.
- Add the rest of the chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, sugar, and garlic.
- Stir ingredients together well.
- Cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and simmer for 30 minutes or more, stirring occasionally.